The Path to Public Service at SEAS

Should Supreme Court Justices Have Term Limits? That ‘Would Be Fine,’ Breyer Says at Harvard IOP Forum

Harvard Right to Life Hosts Anti-Abortion Event With Students For Life President

Harvard Researchers Debunk Popular Sleep Myths in New Study

Journalists Discuss Trump’s Effect on the GOP at Harvard IOP Forum

Need for Aid Emphasized By Seminar

By Sidney Clifford

Speakers from Poland and Indonesia stressed their country's need for economic aid from the United States at the International Seminar Forum Tuesday night.

A third speaker from the Philippines explained to the capacity audience in Littauer Auditorium how his country, which has "stood fast" on the side of Democracy, had put down the communist threat.

Jacek Wozniakowski, a Polish journalist and university lecturer, discussed recent changes in the life of his country since the Poznam Riots of October 1956.

He said that in Poland there has been a great increase in civic liberties. He quoted a Polish newspaper as saying that since October 1956 there has not been one political arrest in the country which before saw political arrests by the hundreds every month.

Poland, he said, is in a "tight corner" economically and needs a large loan badly. The recent American loan of 95 million is "only enough to taxi on the runway, not enough to fly," he asserted.

Gajus Siagian, General Manager of the Indonesian National Press and Publicity Service and a university lecturer, explained his country's foreign policy of non-alignment".

Indonesia's policy, he said, is one of "anti-colonialism and anti-imperialism and concerned with the "preservation of peace". They have made no committments to either the communists or the West.

Troadio T. Quiazon, Solicitor in the Office of the Philippine Solicitor General and also a university lecturer, traced his country's rise to a strong democracy, "a miniature replica" of the United States government.