Coaches Praise Changes

Football coaches around the country revealed varied reactions to the rules changes voted Sunday by the National Collegiate Athletic Association.

The NCAA rules committee voted to give two points for a conversion scored on a run or a pass, while still giving one point for conversion scored on a kick. All conversions, however, must now be made from three yards out instead of two. The committee also voted to liberalize substitution rules by allowing substitutes, as well as starters, to re-enter once each quarter.

Crimson coach John Yovicsin said the new conversion rule "will take the routine out of the point after. It will depend upon how the game is going whether coaches will go for the two points or for the kick."

Fritz Crisler, athletic director of Michigan and author of the new rule, said it is "one of the most striking changes that has ever occurred in football. It will add drama to what has been the dullest, most stupid play in the game."

Coach Tommy Mont of Maryland commented that, "the rule should open up the game. The defense won't be able to concentrate on simply trying to block the kick. The rule should also eliminate some tie games."

Terry Brennan, Notre Dame coach, argued, "It's ridiculous. You have to fight hard from any spot on the field to get six points. Now you can get two more by going only three yards."

In speaking of the more liberal substitution rule, Yovicsin said, "I like that very much. It gives the boys a chance to play more football, and I am in favor of that."

Crisler explained that the substitution change "was a move to liberalize the rule to help small colleges." On the other hand, Steve Sinko, coach of Boston University, claimed, "It'll only help those that have. It will hurt a team with a limited number of men."

In other actions the rules committee voted to change the penalty for out-of-bound kick-offs, to permit ineligible receivers to move downfield as soon as the ball is thrown rather than when first touched by a receiver, to tighten rules against defensive teams interfering with offensive signals, and to limit blockers to contact with only one arm and hand.