Exam Study Brings More Aspirin Sales

Magazine sales go down but cigarette, candy and aspirin sales go up under the strain of reading period, College newsstand operators reported yesterday. Peter Diamadopoulos 7G, a director of the Harvard Student Agencies, central purchasing service, suggested, "Most of the guys seem to be pretty tired," as the cause.

The sale of magazines plummets about 25 per cent according to Diamadopoulos. "The New Yorker, Reporter, the most sophisticated ones, drop down considerably," he said, and added that the circulation of the Sunday New York Times fell by 35 per cent this week. There was little change in the sale of Playboy.

At the same time, bedraggled Harvard students shot cigarette sales up almost 40 per cent, in their efforts to survive the coming ordeal. Sales of life savers, gum and tutti-frutti also rose at most stands. Peanut sales have remained constant throughout the past fiscal year.

Counter to the overall trend, the sale of magazines in the Freshman Union increased, according to Robert D. Storey '58. However freshmen have also taken to eating a greater number of aspirin than before and at a rate higher than upperclassmen.