New Budget Totals $73.9 Billion; Includes Education Aid Program

By The ASSOCIATED Press

WASHINGTON, Jan. 13--President Eisenhower presented to Congress today the highest budget in peacetime history--$73,934,000,000 to embark the nation on "the dawning age of space conquest."

Two out of every three dollars in the spending program, for the 1959 fiscal year starting next July 1, are earmarked for national protection in what Eisenhower said is clearly "a time of growing danger."

To meet these dangers flung out from the Kremlin, the President proposed to spend a billion dollars more on the missile program alone--a total of $5,300,000,000.

The precariously balanced budget cuts and skimps on civilian and even some military items to put more money into missiles and nuclear weapons and vehicles, supersonic planes, greater foreign aid and a stepped-up "effort on military satellites and other outer space vehicles."

It calls for holding taxes where they are now, for tilting up temporarily the 275-billion-dollar lid on the national debt, for a nickel stamp on letters, and for 83,000 fewer men in military uniform.

Education Funds

WASHINGTON, Jan. 13 -- President Ensenhower's billion-dollar program to preserve and extend the nation's educational resources, outlined to Congress today, may be in for tough sledding on Capitol Hill.

His plan calls for a billion dollars in federal aid, spread out over four years and including 10,000 scholarships and 1,000 or more graduate fellowships a year, and matching grants to states for the selection, guidance and training of outstanding students. Emphasis would be on the teaching of foreign languages, of science and mathematics.

For the first year of the program, the President asked 145 1/2 million dollars for the Office of Education to be used to finance the scholarships and fellowships.

Foreign Aid

WASHINGTON, Jan. 13--The President's budget included a new $3,940,000,000 foreign aid program designed to reinforce the free world against a Soviet triple-threat of "open armed attack, internal subversion and economic domination."

The total is a billion dollars more than Congress voted for foreign aid last year, and 86 millions more than Eisenhower asked then.

Under Eisenhower's new request for the fiscal year starting July 1, 50 or more nations would receive military, economic and technical aid