Student Council Group Rejects Self-Abolishment

'Significant Revisions' Will Be Considered

By Fred E. Arnold

"Significant revisions" will be prescribed for the Student Council by the Council Re-evaluation Committee, an officer of the group revealed last night. The committee thoroughly considered abolition but decided that the Council was necessary as a student pressure group and service organization, according to Denis D. Barber '60, secretary of the committee.

Marc E. Leland '59, chairman of the re-evaluation group, who was elected president of the Student Council last week, declared that the Council seemed to have "potential for the future," and should be retained.

The committee, which has been meeting since November, first considered the effect of possible abolition of the Council, but decided that its representative and service functions were indispensable. Extensive revision of the Council's organization to serve those functions more efficiently is now under way, and may lead to the adoption of a new constitution.

No specific recommendations have yet been completed, but consideration is being given to measures which might make the Council more representative. These might include election of more members by Houses, rather than classes.

The Re-evaluation Committee will submit its recommendations in March, Leland reported. A new constitution, or any amendments to the old one, would then be considered by the Council and submitted to the student body. Members of the committee are Leland, Barber, John Maher '60, Fred Sander '59, and Richard T. Cooper '58.