Non-Honors Program For Seniors in History

Houses Make Progress

The Department of History this year will allot to the Masters a certain percentage of its tutors' time for working with non-Honors Seniors in the Houses, Myron P. Gilmore, chairman of the Department, said yesterday.

This action was taken in response to last May's recommendations of the Committee on Educational Policy.

Gilmore added that "We should like to see the creation of an adviser in each House to sign study cards, and hold informal group meetings for discussion and recommendations of bibliography. The Faculty hopes that the Houses will take the initiative," he concluded.

Progress in the Houses toward carrying out the CEP recommendations is still in the early stages. Elliot Perkins '23, Master of Lowell House, said yesterday, "In providing adequate advisers, we have taken a step in the right direction. Where we go from here is uncertain, but it is among the first orders of business in the House."

Perkins expressed the belief that for the first year, the reaction of the students might be somewhat apathetic, but that their attitude toward the new program would gradually shift.

Changes in accordance with this aspect of the CEP proposals, have come less rapidly in other major fields of concentration. Seymour E. Harris '20, chairman of the Department of Economics, said yesterday, "It is basically a problem for the Houses."

Harris also stated that an occasional meeting might be helpful, but that "there is the danger tha these meetings might degenerate into cram sessions for the general examinations." However, Harris conceded that an experienced tutor would probably be able to make it a beneficial experience.

Other departments have expressed doubt or indifference about a Non-Honors program. Some fields, such as philosophy, don't have the manpower and others, such as Economics and Government, prefer to wait for student interest to show itself.