Hoffman, Algerian Student Clash Over Status of French Colonies

Lecture on Fifth Republic

A sensational outburst of national passion developed over the Algerian crisis during a lecture by Stanley H. Hoffmann, Henry La Barre Jayne Assistant Professor of Government, Sunday evening at the International Student Center.

In his lecture, entitled "France's Fifth Republic," Hoffmann, a Frenchman himself, supported the policies of Premier Charles De Gaulle concerning French policy toward Algeria. Hoffmann favored a postponement of a political solution while pushing ahead with a program of "economic and social recognition for the honor of mankind" in the area.

During a question period that followed, an unidentified Algerian student spoke out against the pro-French views of Hoffmann. This student broadened the issue by demanding that France get out of all her former colonies and "leave them alone."

As tension and tempers mounted, Hoffman countered with the statement that the colonies had had an option to choose independence in the recent constitutional referendum. He went on to say that Guinea had voted for independence and had received it as promised.

Hoffmann also pointed out that the weak Fourth Republic, doomed since 1954, will be replaced by the Fifth Republic, under which the President, almost certain to be Premier De Gaulle, will be given the power to act as arbitrator among the various organs of government and as a unifying force in the crumbling French empire.