U.S. Ships Leave Formosa Area, Troops Withdraw From Lebanon; 65 Die as Russian Jet Crashes

By The ASSOCIATED Press

Aboard the USS Midway in the East China Sea, Oct. 19--The U.S. Navy has withdrawn some of its ships from Formosa Strait since the Chinese Reds voluntarily silenced their guns Oct. 9, two U.S. 7th Fleet admirals disclosed Sunday.

The ships withdrawn were the extras sent in after the Communists launched their artillery bombardment of the Quemoy Island complex off the Red China mainland on Aug. 23. The admirals said the ships could be reinstated at a moment's notice.

U.S. Troops Leave Lebanon

BEIRUT, Lebanon, Oct. 19--More U.S. troops pulled out of Lebanon Sunday after hearing a message from President Eisenhower that their mission was done. The United States hopes to move all its troops out of Lebanon by Oct. 31.

A military spokesman said that an airborne battle group of the 24th Division continued its return to Germany by air. An advance party of the group returned to Germany Thursday.

Russian Jet Crashes

LONDON, Oct. 19--Sixty-five passengers, including 16 Communist Chinese government officials were killed in the crash of a Russian jetliner en route from Peiping to Moscow Friday, the Red Chinese Radio said Sunday night.

An undisclosed number of crew members also died in the disaster. There were no survivors.

Of the 65 passengers, the broadcast said, 49 were "foreign friends who had visited China on invitation and foreign experts on their way home from China." Four West Germans and one British subject were reported among the dead. Names of the foreigners aboard were not disclosed in the Peiping broadcast.