U.N. COUNCIL VOTE

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

The Harvard-Radcliffe U.N. Council has come out in favor of a "yes" vote on the N.S.A. referendum. A minority of the Council's Executive Board would like to record its opposition to this stand. We feel that the U.N. Council's activities should be, to quote a recent committee report, the "... dissemination of information towards the end of greater (international) understanding--and that the taking of policy stands would seriously limit this role." Only in cases where the U.N. Council is directly and formally concerned should it override this principle. Thus the Executive Board could, and in our opinion should, properly have questioned the Student Council's procedure in withdrawing from N.S.A. without consulting interested groups on campus. But as an organizational entity the U.N. Council should not have taken a stand on N.S.A. itself--whatever the personal feelings of its members. In taking such stands it forfeits the right to call itself a "non-partisan political organization." A. M. Colt,   Sheldon A. Vincent,   Members of the Executive Board,   Harvard-Radcliffe U.N. Council.