Sponsors Refuse Support For Appeasement Group

Emerson, Cheever Withdraw

By David M. Farquhar

The two original faculty sponsors of the Harvard-Radcliffe Committee to Study Disarmament have withdrawn their support from the new "Committee Against Appeasement."

Rupert Emerson, professor of Government, and Daniel S. Cheever, lecturer on Government, stated that they will not continue to sponsor the group. Administration rules require undergraduate organizations to have two faculty sponsors.

"I have no interest in sponsoring the present group," Cheever said, "which of course is a reversal of the original."

No Meeting Called

Emerson, a member of the Faculty Committee on Student Affairs, said that no meeting has yet been called to consider the reversal. However, he was "sure if the Student Council brought something up it would be considered." He also observed that individual students had the power to petition the faculty committee.

Students will bring up the action for consideration in today's Council meeting. President Dennis L. White '60 stated his group was "sitting tight," and that if the Council kept the CAA out of Harvard buildings because of a lack of faculty sponsors, the group "just would have to look around for new ones."

If the Council finds technical illegalities in the CAA's constitutional rewrite, the Council can simply not approve the change or can recommend the group's charter be revoked.