University Funds Supply Regional Scholarship Aid

Students in areas of the country where Harvard clubs do not provide scholarship money "will not be affected by the decision to abandon Regional Scholarships," Edgar P. Dean '28, Executive Secretary of Associated Harvard Clubs, explained yesterday.

The Executive Council of the A.H.C. had voted earlier this month to abolish the Regional Scholarship Progam and rely on grants provided by local Harvard clubs.

"As cities where Harvard clubs are active establish their own scholarship grants, the University will be free to use its funds in other parts of the country," Dean noted.

"We are sure that this change in policy will provide more scholarship money in the long run," Dean added. "Most of the 125 clubs in the country are now in the process of campaigning for more donations."

Revisions Planned

There will be revisions in the operation of Harvard clubs, he said. "Many small changes have already been decided upon and we are working on what may be major ones."

Most Harvard clubs are not like the New York or Boston organizations which most people think of when they discuss clubs, Dean commented.

"Six clubs, at the most, have official buildings. The other groups consist of alumni who meet for dinner about once a month, often with speakers from Cambridge."

Dean mentioned the Schools Committees as one of the clubs' most useful functions.