Soviet Government Will Not Stop Testing Nuclear Weapons Today; Americans Complete Test Series

By The ASSOCIATED Press

GENEVA--The Soviet Union Thursday night rejected Western proposals to ban nuclear weapons testing for one year. It was an unpromising prelude to the American-British-Soviet talks opening here Friday on possibilities of a permanent nuclear cease-fire.

But the United States countered in Washington with an announcement that unless the Russians carry out another nuclear weapons test, the United States will maintain its own ban for one year beginning Friday. Both Britain and the United States said the talks with the Russians will go on.

U.S. Ends Nevada Tests

ATOMIC TEST SITE, Nev.--The United States ended its fall nuclear test series Thursday with a record underground blast that ripped a huge hole in the side of a mesa. The climax left scientists weary from days of round the clock effort to finish the series by the deadline time Thursday.

Americans Win Nobel Prizes

STOCKHOLM, Sweden--The 1958 Nobel Prize in Medicine and Physiology was awarded Thursday to three American scientists for their work on problems of heredity. The work could have strong bearing on the future of cancer research.

One half of the $41,420 prize goes to Dr. Joshua Lederberg, 33, of the University of Wisconsin and the other half to Drs. E.L. Tatum, 49, of New York's Rockefeller Institute, and George Wells Beadle, 55, of the California Institute of Technology.