Ford Money May Finance Lowell Show

By Claude E. Welch jr.

A Lowell House dramatic group will present the first all-House production of the theatrical season during the Winter Reading Period, director Alan Rinzler '60 announced last night. Except for a single female lead, all people associated with the production will be members of the House.

To insure further the completely single-House character of the production, Master Elliott Perkins '23 will use funds provided by the Ford Foundation to purchase a stage and extra lighting. Perkins expected a low budget for the production, an adaptation of Arthur Koestler's Darkness at Noon.

Members of the group currently estimate costs at $671, and losses can be covered by the Ford grant. However, Perkins expects the production to break even.

Reaction Against "Semi-Professionals"

"Our plan to include only House members in the cast and in the production staff came as a reaction against the concept of House drama by a group of semiprofessionals," Rinzler noted.

The genesis of the group came last winter, Rinzler commented. At that time, a group of sophomores worked together on the House Christmas play, and then formed a play-reading society. From play-reading to actual theatrical production was a natural step, he noted.

Perkins commended the students who developed the idea for the House production. "They have a very well-thought out plan," he stated. On the opening evening of the production, Lowell House members and their dates will be admitted free of charge. On the other four evenings of the plays run, an admission fee of $1.50 will be charged.