Harrier Manager Disputes Bolles' Economy Drive

"For a school emphasizing de-emphasis of athletics, economy seems a proper treatment for its winning-est team," an undergraduate manager declared to the CRIMSON yesterday. James V. Hoagland '56-4, undergraduate manager of cross country, took issue with statements by Thomas Bolles, Director of Athletics, regarding the H.A.A. sponsored seven-man cross country team which traveled to Cornell on Saturday.

In the meet with Cornell Saturday, the 14 H.A.A. sponsored runners on the freshman and varsity squads were aided by eight runners who traveled to Ithaca by automobile to run in the two contests. One of the extras finished ahead of an expense-paid teammate, and counted in the final scoring. The dual meet with Cornell costs $50 per person, including training meals and an air trip to Ithaca.

"Mr. Bolles is incorrect in that the IC4A Rule Book, under which we (and all other Heptagonal Games Association Schools) operate, specifically states that the dual-meet team is composed of 12 men.

"Further," he continued, "to my knowledge no Ivy League cross country team has come to Harvard with as few as seven men since before my freshman managership in 1952.