Pope's Condition Grows Worse, Upper Body Paralysis Remains; U.S. Questions Atom Test Halt

By The ASSOCIATED Press

CASTEL GANDOLFO, ITALY--The illness of Pope Pius XII grew more critical Tuesday night.

The 82-year-old head of the Roman Catholic Church had rallied earlier from a coma and partial paralysis that attended a sroke Monday, but other symptoms recurred.

Then late Tuesday night a Vatican official said flatly the pontiff's condition had taken a turn for the worse. A doctor close to the situation said the pontiff was still afflicted with partial paralysis that affected his upper body, face and speech.

Test Halt Up to Russia

WASHINGTON--The United States called on Russia Tuesday night to say whether she really wants a suspension of nuclear tests starting Oct. 31.

"It is up to the Soviet Union now as to whether tests will be suspended on Oct. 31 or whether they are to continue," the State Department said.

Nationalists Fire at Red Planes

TAIPEI, Formosa--Communist planes swooped over Quemoy and touched off a hail of Nationalist anti-aircraft fire Tuesday, straining the Red-proclaimed cease-fire in Formosa Strait.

The Nationalist firing was the first since Red China had proclaimed a week-long halt in its artillery pounding of the off-shore island effective early Monday. No further clashes were reported.