Rules Change In Reduction To Aid Little

Several departmental authorities expressed doubt yesterday that the recent changes in course reduction rules will be of much help to students.

Most of the officials felt that the new rules would do little more than reduce administrative red tape. Tutorial for credit and required departmental approval were among the reasons why they didn't expect increased undergraduate interest in the program.

Several Petitions Refused

Stanley Hoffman, Chairman of the Board of Tutors in the Government Department, said that requirements for approval hurt the popularity of course reduction. Several petitions have been turned down already, and "bad news always spreads," discouraging other aspirants. The approval rule is still retained under the new course reduction rules.

Myron P. Gilmore, Chairman of the History Department, was more optimistic, asserting that he "presumes the measure will have some encouraging effect." However, Gilmore added that the requirement of History 99 for honors juniors and seniors possibly could limit the future popularity of course reduction.

No Requests in Slavic

There haven't been any requests for course reduction in the Slavic Department, according to Chairman Albert B. Lord. Lord felt that most students haven't heard of the program, and thus haven't applied.

Mrs. Hanna Gray, assistant head of the Board of Tutors in History and Literature, said the simplified rules probably won't cause any change in that department's policy. Mrs. Gray said that it has been a policy of the Committee on Advanced Standing to require departmental recommendations in the past.

Under the new regulations, a student can acquire a course reduction upon the approval of his department; previously, one also needed the consent of other Faculty groups to take less than the normal schedule and receive credit for four courses.