'Cliffe Paper to Continue Publishing Despite Vote Against SGA Subsidy

Will Cut Operating Costs

The Radcliffe News will continue to publish despite a recent referendum in which SGA subsidization of the paper was refused.

Elizabeth Hurwitz '59, business manager of the News, announced yesterday that "since the referendum there has been increased interest in the News. New possibilities for lowering operational costs and increasing advertising revenues have been suggested. In the light of these new ideas the News will continue publishing."

The News staff never requested the Student Government subsidy, according to Vyola G. Papps '59, editor of the News.

Commenting on the referendum, Miss Papps stated that "we do not feel the vote was decisively against the News, but only against SGA support." She referred to arguments that subscribers would be paying, in effect, two times for the paper--once to the News and once through their Student Government dues, whereas non-subscribers would be paying for a paper they might never see.

"We lost by a smaller margin than in the referendum last fall against compulsory subscriptions," she added. Although the figures were never made public, Miss Papps said they had lost that election by over 100 votes. The more recent vote was against the News by only 50 votes. Miss Papps also stated that certain sections of Radcliffe were strongly pro-News in the recent referendum, nothing that the comuters voted unanimously for it and Cabot Hall 3 to 1 in favor of the SGA referendum.