SWEEZY CORRECTS

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

May I correct two misleading impressions conveyed by a story referring to me in your issue of November 6th? First, there was nothing in the least unusual about the circumstances surrounding my leaving the Harvard faculty in 1946. At that time I had two and half years of a five year term as Assistant Professor still to serve. I resigned to devote myself to other work. Neither the Economics Department nor the University Administration had anything to do with it. Second, I was never officially connected with the University of New Hampshire in any capacity whatever. The lecture I gave at the UNH which figured in the Supreme Court decision to which your article refers was a guest lecture in a regular university course.

I am writing this letter not by way of complaint: I know how hard it is to get facts of this sort accurately reported. My purpose is simply to set the record straight. In closing let me thank your reporter for quoting the description of me as a "notoriously independent thinker." In this day and age I can thing of no greater compliment. Paul M. Sweezy '31