Visitors to Join Philosophy Dep't. In Spring Term

Barker, Owen Will Merge Scientific Ideas in Courses

Two professors from the University of Virginia and Oxford will come to the University this spring to teach courses touching on scientific philosophy, Roderick Firth, chairman of the Philosophy Department, disclosed yesterday.

Stephen F. Barker of Virginia and G. E. Lane Owen of Oxford "will help to fill the place in the department vacated when Professor Willard Quine left for a year's leave of absence in California," Raphael Demos, Alford Professor of Natural Religion, Moral Philosophy, and Civil Polity explained.

Author of a recently published philosophical study, Induction and Hypothesis, Barker will teach a middle group lecture course dealing with the philosophy of science, emphasizing methods of scientific induction.

He will probably lead a graduate seminar "discussing problems on the frontiers of scientific induction," the Department chairman added.

Barker Had Santayana Grant

Barker studied at the University several years ago under a fellowship established by the late George Santayana, providing funds for one student each year to pursue philosophy studies. "He wrote a major portion of his book under this fellowship," Firth noted.

Owen is scheduled to teach a middle group course on Aristotle and a graduate school seminar on the Platonic dialogues.

Supplementing his knowledge of philosophy, "Owen is an expert on Greek science and apparently finds its impossible to teach philosophy courses without integrating the scientific aspects," Firth commented.

"Owen's course on Aristotle will not cause any change in the number of courses members of the Department are now scheduled to teach," Demos stated.