Soccer Squad Will Oppose Rough, but Winless Brown

By James W.B. Benkard

Fresh from its 7-1 romp over B.U. on Wednesday, the varsity soccer team will encounter Brown, the doormat of the Ivy League, here today. The game is scheduled to start at 11 a.m.

The Crimson must win today to stay in the Ivy League race, while Brown will be bidding for its first league victory of the year. Cornell is still in first place but has to face Dartmouth today and Penn next Saturday.

Any resemblance between today's contest and the football game immediately following it will be anything but accidental. Brown has gained. the reputation through the years of being the roughest team in the Ivy League and from all advance notices will be in there slugging today. In last year's game, varsity fullback Chris Provenson was elbowed in the face and the resulting injuries forced him out of soccer for good.

Brown has a predominantly sophomore team with an excellent goalie, mediocre backs, and a below-par line. John Master, the Bruin goalie, is supposed to be the finest sophomore prospect Brown has come up with in many years. Dick Press and Bill Stamper are the fullbacks, but behind them there is no one to fill in. Captain Dick Ramsden will head a halfback line along with Sal Rena and Foster Ballard, while Arnie Hetzer, Howard Whitcomb, Bill Vandentorn, Bill Pearson, and Al Tapper make up the forward line.

Winless Record

The Bruins' record in Ivy League play (0-5) is all the more unimpressive when one looks at their scoring figures, 3 goals for and 15 against. Their two wins of the season, however, were against Wesleyan and M.I.T., teams that the varsity only edged by one goal. Against M.I.T., Brown played its best game of the season, winning 5 to 1.

If the varsity can continue today the fourth quarter attack it showed against B.U., Brown will not have a chance. In Wednesday's final period, the Crimson poured seven goals through a bewildered Terrier defense in the varsity's best offensive showing of the year.

While this barrage of goals came at the hands of a relatively inferior team, it was still a heartening one, for the Crimson had not really broken loose since the opening game of the season, when it beat Tufts, 6 to 0. Roger Tuckerman, the team's leading scorer with ten goals, will start today at center forward, along with John Hedreen, John Mudd, Larry Ekpebu and Kay Khan.

Bill Driver's ankle injury will deprive Coach Bruce Munro of some halfback reserves vitally needed in an Ivy League game. Marsh McCall, Bill Rapp, and Charlie Steele will probably have to play practically the whole game at the half-backs. Lanny Keyes and Captain Floyd Moloy will open at fullback, while Tom Bagnoli will play goal.