Houses Take 2 of 3 Championships; Kirkland, Adams, Eliot Elevens Win

House athletic teams won six of eleven contests with Yale colleges yesterday afternoon, including two of the three championship games. One football game between Lowell and Pierson College wound up a 12-12 tie.

Dunster's football team, which overtook Winthrop in the last week of the season, suffered the Crimson's most crushing defeat, losing to Jonathan Edwards College in the championship game, 22 to 0.

After a scoreless first quarter, the Elis struck for two second period touchdowns as Mike Phillips and Wally Pflug scored. Early in the third period Mike Green sprung free on a trap play and romped 87 yards.

Five of the starters on the Jonathan Edwards team could have played varsity ball if they had gone out for the squad, another member of the team commented after the game. Dunster failed to move the ball past its own 40.

In the championship soccer game between Adams and Pierson, the Gold Coasters registered their 13th consecutive shutout, 2 to 0. Forward Brian Bouton netted both scores, heading the second one in.

Dale Bauer, regular Adams goalie, worked the Maryland Ride to set up one of the scores. The play, one of Adams' specialties throughout the season, allows the forwards to get in position downfield before the goalie kicks.

The Crimson's second championship came in the touch football game between Leverett and Pierson. The Bunnies, led throughout the season by Ollie Houck, used a razzle dazzle passing attack to win 34 to 26 in a game that was close all the way.

Houses Win Three Games

Of the seven other football games, three went to the House teams. Kirkland beat Trumbull, 16 to 0, Eliot downed Berkeley, 8 to 0, while Adams topped Saybrook, 14 to 6. In three losses, Winthrop was topped by Davenport, 14 to 0, Dudley was beaten by Silliman, 8 to 0, and Leverett was overcome by Timothy Dwight, 17 to 8. Lowell and Pierson rounded out the schedule with a 12-12 tie.

There was only one other contest, a challenge soccer game between Davenport and Winthrop. The Puritans took the traditional match, 2 to 1.

The freshman football champions from Matthews North were slated to play the Eli North Middle squad. The game had to be cancelled though when the New Haven team failed to appear.