Council Will Seek Outside Financial Aid

Group Loses Hope Of University Help

By Frederick W. Byron jr.

The Student Council will go outside the College to solicit financial backing for its recently proposed trust fund, Marc E. Leland '59, Council president, said last night. There had previously been some speculation that the Council would attempt to obtain the financial support of the Faculty, but the funds involved in such a venture would be too large for the University, in its present expansion program, to supply.

Estimates of the amount needed for such a fund, the income from which would provide the Council with its yearly operating expenses, have ranged between $50,000 and $80,000.

Leland hopes to be able to start his search for Council backers before the Program for Harvard College concludes its operations, although up to the present most requests of this nature have been turned down by Massachusetts Hall.

However, the Dean's office has not yet acted upon the Council's plan, and Paul E. Freehling '59, vice-president of the Council, said that it probably would not be considered for several weeks and that the idea itself would be subject to change when the 1958-59 Council takes office.

Dean Watson, with whom the Council leaders discussed their plans Wednesday, suggested that the Dean's office might be able to help the Council financially by sharing the cost of reports or by giving part-time secretarial assistance, but that direct financial aid in any significant amount was unlikely.