Brower, Perkins, Finley Lead Non-Honors Study

By Alan H. Grossman

The eight Masters have taken over from the C.E.P. the initiative in determining the future of the College's non-honors tutorial program. Masters Brower, Finley, and Perkins will be the faculty members most extensively involved in studying non-honors tutorial, and no formal proposals will be brought before the C.E.P. this fall, it was disclosed last night.

Members of both groups are dissatisfied with the present state of the program, and "wide open to suggestions," a source close to the Administration revealed.

Earlier this week, Dean Bundy and an unofficial C.E.P. sub-committee sounded out undergraduates in a Faculty Club dinner with 12 students. Many of the ideas raised by these non-Honors concentrators will almost certainly be studied by the Masters.

Some interest was expressed in organizing tutorial on a College-wide or "compromise" basis rather than by individual Houses, to provide more latitude in subject choices. It was stated that the Masters' new initiative has not obviated this possibility, and that House and non-House tutorial "need not be an absolute antithesis."

Other proposals seemed to indicate that many of the alternatives to be considered will de-emphasize specialized study and "not be geared toward professional graduate work." These included giving non-Honors students two tutors in different but related fields, and recognizing extensive work for organizations like the H.D.C. and the H.R.O. as "sufficient equivalents," when carried on with faculty consultation.

Michael Maccoby '54, secretary to the C.E.P., said that the meeting with students was "a very educational experience for the committee."