Masters Will Delay Action On Tutorials

By Craig K. Comstock

The Masters will delay their decision on non-Honors tutorial until next Fall, Elliott Perkins '23, Master of Lowell House, disclosed last night. "I very much doubt if we will come up with anything definite this year," he said.

Last February the Committee on Educational Policy recommended the present tutorial system, which strengthened Honors tutorial, but left the fate of non-Honors in doubt. "This new program has been in operation for less than three months," Perkins noted. "We want to study its effects carefully, before jumping into an official non-Honors program."

Meeting Cancelled

The Masters were scheduled to meet with the deans last night, and it had been indicated previously that a decision on non-Honors tutorial would be made at this meeting. For some reason, however, last evening's meeting was not held, and this, together with Perkins' statement, indicates a change in the climate of opinion about non-Honors.

"We want to take a long-range view of the problem," explained Perkins, "and not rush into a non-Honors program before we examine the effects of our revamped tutorial system."

CEP Views

In its report last February, the CEP pointed to "widely shared dissatisfaction with the present program for non-Honors candidates," and concluded that "organized, compulsory, tutorial for all 'pass men' has been unrewarding and should be abolished."

On the other hand, the Committee called the non-Honors students "a significant group of undergraduates," and said "it is hoped that for each field of concentration a program of group tutorial or small discussion sections might develop in the Houses for non-Honors seniors."

Discussion on the non-Honors sections of the CEP report was abandoned early in the Faculty meetings on it, as Delmar Leighton, Master of Dudley observed last week, "not for lack of discussion, but for lack of agreement on an acceptable solution."