Hockey Team Beats Colby, 3-2, In Sudden-Death Period Victory

By John R. Adler

Recovering from fifty-eight minutes of its worst hockey since the ignominious loss to Northeastern last year, the varsity sextet came from behind again last night for a 3-2 sudden-death victory over an aroused Colby team at Watson rink.

In a preliminary contest the Canadian-strengthened Colby freshman team routed the junior varsity, 9 to 2.

Bud Higginbottom gave the Crimson its third win against two losses and two ties, when at 7:11 of the sudden-death period he snuck around the cage from the left and slid the puck under goalie Pete MacFarlane.

During the overtime period several hard shots on the Colby goal--one of which caromed off the post--preceded a penalty to Murray Daley for tripping Crocker Snow. This gave the Crimson its chance for the winning power play.

The varsity's forechecking was something less than energetic, and the defense unusually careless about permitting Colby men to gain position around the cage, but credit must be given to the hustling team from Maine.

For nearly 60 minutes the Colby defense held the Crimson attack to an unassisted, breakaway goal by Dick Fischer at 19:25 of the first period, with the Waterville squad a man down. Colby forwards--especially Dick Morrison--scrapped all over the ice, killing a second period penalty so effectively that the varsity could not manage a shot.

With less than two minutes to play, it seemed as if the loyal and loud supporters of the visiting sextet would be rewarded, when Morrison skated around McLaughlin and lifted the puck into the left-hand corner of the cage. But Les Duncan slapped in Dave Crosby's center to set the stage for Higginbottom.