Northeastern Routs Quintet, 68-46, With Strong Rally in Second Half

Donohue Nets 17

Shooting spelled the difference between victory and defeat last night, as Northeastern swamped the varsity quintet, 68 to 46. The Huskies hit for 39 per cent from the floor, while the Crimson managed to make good on only 28 per cent.

Operating without the services of Griff McClellan, the varsity was ineffectual in rebounding, and this too made a difference. In addition, potential scoring threats Bob Repetto and Bob Bowditch were held to two and four points respectively.

Northeastern jumped away to an 8-2 advantage before the Crimson began to come alive. Sparked by Mike Donohue's 11 points, the varsity came back to trail 30 to 26 at halftime.

Crimson Catches Up in Second Half

With three minutes to go in the second half, the Crimson pulled up to a one point deficit, only to see the Huskies increase their lead to six points at the 7-minute mark, to 15 at the 14-minute mark, and finally, with four minutes to play, to 20.

During this time, Northeastern relied on fast breaks and layups resulting from Crimson defensive lapses to pile up such a lead, while the visiting Crimson frittered away its scoring chances.

Paul Calloe was the high man for the Huskies, hitting for 22 points, 15 of them in the second half. Bill Viestra with 12 and Mike Dvorchak with 10 were also instrumental in the victory.

For the varsity, only Donohue was able to score with any regularity, winding up with a total of 17 for the night. Bill Richling contributed 11, and George Harrington 8.

In the freshman contest, Gary Bochard and Bill Danner led the Yardlings to an easy 76-64 win over the Huskies. Borchard scored 26 and Danner 25.