Records Fall as Tracksters Top B.U. Terriers in Season Opener

Seven meet records fell last night as the Crimson varsity track squad walloped Boston University 72 1/3 to 36 2/3 and the Yardling team defeated the B.U. Freshmen by an almost equally convincing 65-44 margin. In addition, two B.U. marks and two Briggs Cage standards were beaten in one of the most spectacular opening meets in recent history.

John Lawlor of the Terriers began the meet with an outstanding performance, tossing the 35-lb. weight 59 ft., 3 1/2 in. for new meet and B.U. records. Eino Keerd, Lawlor's muscular teammate, set another meet record in his specialty, throwing the 16-lb. shot a distance of 52 ft., 3 in.

The varsity's only record performance of the evening came in the hurdle event, when Joel Landau established new meet and Briggs Cage marks with a 5.2 sec. effort. High jumper Kelvin Kean missed equaling the meet standard in his event with a 6 ft., 3 in leap. The varsity also fared well in other field events, with Pat Liles winning the broad jump.

B.U.'s Henry Diunisio edged the Crimson captain Al Gordon to take the 600-yard run.

Despite the lack of competition from B.U., two of the middle distance races produced exciting stretch battles, as Dyke Benjamin barely managed to hold on to defeat teammate Jed Fitzgerald in the mile and Art Cahn needed a finishing spurt to fight off Gus Schumacher in the 1000.

John Thomas of B.U. was the star of the Freshman meet, setting a meet record in the hurdles with a 5.3 sec. clocking, and establishing new meet, B.U., and Briggs Cage marks with an astounding 6 ft., 8 7/8 in. high jump. Yardling Ed Bailey passed the old meet standard in the weight throw, and the '62 mile relay unit bettered the existing mark by .5 sec. to complete the evening's record smashing.