Dawson Sees Christianity Course Need

Expects Opposition To Such Proposal

By Carl I. Gable jr.

A professor in the Divinity School advocates the addition of an undergraduate course in Christian culture. "This field is one of the few real unitive studies," H. Christopher Dawson, Charles Chauncey Stillman Guest Professor of Roman Catholic Studies, said last night, explaining his viewpoint.

According to Dawson, however, there would be much prejudice against any proposal of a course in the Christian tradition and its cultural heritage. This opposition is based on the belief that it would have "a narrowing effect," he said.

Actually, such a course would serve as "a clearing influence" to inform the student on the background of recent changes in Christian outlook, Dawson added.

Fear Denominationalism

Many educators fear a return to denominationalism, Dawson explained, "but current interest in the Eastern religions demands a comparable knowledge of Christianity.

"Then, too, the thought of a survey course in any field is not well-received, and this would be particularly true in religion," he said. "But on the other hand, a survey course is probably most appropriate in this instance."

Dawson emphasized, however, that any survey must remain sufficiently detailed to concentrate in particular fields and to relate Christianity to culture in certain specific periods.

Raphael Demos, Alford Professor of Natural Religion, Moral Philosophy and Civil Polity, expressed agreement with Dawson on the need for undergraduate courses on "the impact of religion on our culture," but felt the subject was sufficiently covered in existing courses.

New England Garden

"A dozen years ago we had a desert in regard to Christianity courses," Demos said. "While we are not yet a tropical garden, we are still a good New England garden."

Demos particularly cited Humanities 111, Classics of the Christian Tradition, and Humanities 127, Religion, the Arts and Sciences. Neither of these courses is of the specific survey type advocated by Dawson.

He added that he favored courses in Christian culture as long as they are not compulsory and "a belief in God is not necessary for a passing grade."