Committee to Investigate Control of New Theatre

Fox Emphasizes Scope of Inquiry

The Student Council committee investigating problems of College theatrical productions will probe the possible effects of University control in the planned Harvard-Radcliffe Theatre. "Some groups might refuse to use the new theatre unless they retain their traditional autonomy," Daniel M. Fox '59, chairman of the committee, told the Council last night.

After hearing a report on the first meeting of Fox's group, the Council discussed proposed long range reports and decided to investigate problems of undergraduate concentrators in the natural sciences. The report may take a year to compile and will be completed before the committee on Educational Policy begins consideration of the matter next year.

Fox emphasized the scope of the group's activities, nothing that current theatrical problems are only one of the committee's concerns. He announced that all theatrical groups have been asked to submit their ideas concerning the role of drama in the College.

Regarding representation for both sides in the controversy, which concerns proposed control of all-College productions by merged groups, Fox cited the need for a group of "feasible size." He added that no recommendation will be made without discussion by all interested parties. "We have no axe to grind," he said.

The committee will consider the degree of autonomy which student producers should retain. With the construction of the new theatre, a possibility exists that the University might appoint a paid adviser, and seek financial controls and the power to reject productions.

The Council also considered problems which deserved extensive investigation, and decided to set up a committee to study the problems of the science concentrator. This group will consider natural science tutorial and honors programs and inter-departmental cooperation.

By vote of the Council, the International Activities Committee may bring foreign students to the Houses for meals, and Radcliffe students may become full members of the HDC.