Music Theory Offered For Non-Concentrators

By Charles S. Maier

The Department of Music will probably offer the non-musician next year a new course, "Theory for the non-Con-centrator," John M. Ward, chairman of the Department, disclosed yesterday.

Music 2, which is now being proposed to the Committee on Educational Policy for its approval, will be a full-year, simplified version of Music 51, according to Ward. The course will not be open to concentrators, and students with no previous musical education will be eligible to take it.

Music 2 will be the only additional course offered next year for non-concentrators, Ward said. It is reported that the Department is now considering extensive changes, which should be formulated within a month, for music concentrators.

Curriculum Studied

Ward said that the whole curriculum has been under study this past semester. There has been a consistent demand for a less rigorous theory course than Music 51, he noted. The new course will cover the elements of theory and fill the need of the students who find that Music 51 involves too much work.

"It is our hope," he said, "that Music 2 will be only the first of new courses for non-concentrators. Eventually, we hope to add a third course to the series." The number of courses open to non-musicians at present is limited by staff size, according to Ward.

At present, the only courses open to non-concentrators are Music 1, a full-year general survey of musical history, and Music 132, a study of the musicians of the classical period. The Department used to offer other middle group courses for the non-concentrator, which have since been discontinued.