Conant Suggests Curriculum Plan For High Schools

President Emeritus James B. Conant '14, has proposed that high school students be advanced according to their ability and skills. Conant's suggestions, the result of a survey sponsored by the Carnegie Corporation, appeared in yesterday's issue of Life Magazine.

According to Conant's system, course planning would vary for the bright, average, and slow students, with some courses being shared by all.

The program for bright pupils, those planning to attend college, include four years of English, science, math, history, and foreign language. In addition, the curriculum would contain courses in art, typing, and mechanical drawing.

The average pupils would have a lighter work load, with many vocational courses and the slow group would study remedial reading, shop courses, and actual work experience.

Conant's concept of the ideal school is not an attempt to segregate students according to ability. All students would share the same homerooms and lunch hours, and would be allowed to take some courses in an upper or lower level.

One of the basic advantages in Conant's plan is that the various suggestions made by the educator are all in practice in different high schools scattered throughout the United States.