Professors Disagree On Church Issue

Two members of the Divinity School Faculty yesterday disagreed in their opinions on the University's policy on the use of Memorial Church. Administration feeling on the question is that the church should be used only by members of a recognized Christian faith.

Georges Florovsky, professor of Eastern Chruch History, said that it is "quite normal that a university with a Christian Protestant tradition should have a memorial chapel for the use of members of that denomination," even though the chapel may be dedicated to persons not of that tradition.

He felt that the chapel could be used for "neutral purposes" not involving actual religious ceremony. Concerts and recitals might come under this heading. In particular, he said that Memorial Church, having a Christian tradition, should not be used for religious purposes by other denominations.

Citing the situation at Columbia as being a fairly close parallel with the University's, Florovsky pointed out that Columbia has very close cooperation between various religious groups by use of a council which meets each week to discuss inter-faith problems. The recognized University chapel, however, may be used only by Protestants, with the other faiths using places of worship in the vicinity of the University.

George H. Williams, Winn Professor of Ecclesiastical History, disagreed with the University's stand on Memorial Church. "As a Protestant churchman and a member of the Faculty of Divinity I feel that I must identify myself with those who oppose the President's policy on the use of the Memorial edifice," he said. A letter, written by Williams to President Pusey on this subject will be printed in tomorrow's CRIMSON.