Astronomers Meet at Observatory For Conferences on Radio Waves

A complete chart of the solar radio spectrum, compiled by Donald H. Menzel, Director of the Harvard Observatory, will be presented here tomorrow before a meeting of over 300 of the country's astronomy and communications experts.

Scientists attending the conference will hear Menzel's work as one of fifteen papers to be read by distinguished astronomers, telling of recent progress in their various fields.

The meeting sponsored by the Harvard Observatory and the Army Signal Corps, will deal with astronomy as an aid to communications.

Scientists have known for some time that radio noise originating in outerspace disturbances forms a continuous spectrum of signals on earth. Menzel's chart of this spectrum is based on observations by astronomers throughout the world and provides the first complete guide to these noises. It should give valuable aid to operator of radio, television and radar, whose equipment is often disturbed by these outer-atmosphere signal sources.

Thomas Gold, professor of Astronomy, will join Menzel in addressing the conference on "Solar Whistlers," a phenomenon resulting from lightning dicharges. Gold will also speak on "Interstellar Hydrogen." Gerald S. Hawkins, research associate at the Observatory, will also give a talk.