Varsity Defeated By Presbyterian In Indoor Match

By Walter L. Goldfrank

After six and one half hours of hardfought tennis on the indoor courts at The Country Club in Brookline, Presbyterian College yesterday became the first team to defeat the varsity since the Southern trip. The Blue Hose triumphed, 5 to 3, as the third doubles contest was called off.

At 5 p.m., the varsity held a 3-2 lead on the strength of wins by Larry Sears at second singles, Ned Weld at fourth singles, and Fred Vinton at sixth singles. On one court the fifth singles match had just begun; on the other, the first doubles. By 7:15, the Crimson had lost both doubles, trailed 4-3, and Al Goldman had just evened up his crucial match with Jim Peck at one set apiece.

Since Peck was scheduled to play in tha third doubles, all attention was focussed on his match with Goldman. If he won, it would be all over; if he lost he would have to play doubles.

For a while, it looked as though he would see action in the doubles, as Goldman jumped away to a 4-2 advantage. The lean Southerner, however, held his service in the seventh game and broke through Goldman's in the eighth to square the match.

Goldman then took a 40-5 lead in the next game, only to have his opponent rally to win. After missing four opportunities to win the tenth game and tie up the match, he slammed a forehand into the net to set a point, losing the match, 9-7, 3-6, 6-4.

Weld Upsets Shakespeare

In upsetting Jim Shakespeare, Weld won what is probably the greatest victory of his career. He beat the stylish Southerner, 6-4, 1-6, 7-5, as he broke Shakespeare's service in the twelth game of the third set. Strong, steady baseline strokes were his main weapon.

Sears shined for the varsity, defeating Harry Hoffman in straight sets, 7-5, 6-4. He was especially brilliant in the second set,when, trailing 4-1, he rallied to take the last five games.

In registering the third Crimson triumph, Vinton had an easy time, as he won a 6-1, 6-2 in less than half an hour.

Junta Returns to Lineup

Yesterday marked the return of Dale Junta to the line-up, but it wasn't the same Junta who sparked the upset of Presbyterian last year. Still suffering from a back injury, the big Californian was unable to cope with John Brownlow's powerful serve and generally strong game. Although Junta showed flashes of his old form, Brownlow played consistently and won fairly easily, 6-4, 6-2.

Presbyterian's strong doubles teams provided the winning margin, as the singles were split evenly. Brownlow and Hoffman easily defeated Junta and Sears, 6-4, 6-2, and Potter and Shakespeare edged the Sophomore pair of Gallwey and Vinton, 6-4, 7-5.