Underdog Amherst Gains Victory Over Crimson Tennis Team, 5-4

The varsity tennis team was rudely shocked yesterday afternoon as underdog Amherst won an exciting 5-4 match. It was the second straight loss for the Crimson, which was without the services of injured captain Dale Junta.

With the contest even at 4 to 4, the Lord Jeff second doubles team of Tom Richardson and Peter Block defeated Ned Weld and Bill Wood, 8-6, 6-4, to win the match.

Since Junta did not play, Larry Sears moved up to the number one singles position. But the usually excellent lefty was in very poor form, losing to Richardson in straight sets, 6-1, 6-1. A former New England junior champion, Richardson completely outclassed Sears, displaying a fine net game and beautiful passing shots.

At second singles, Tim Gallwey registered the first varsity triumph as he downed Don Hicks, 6-3, 6-4. Hicks' brother Dave, however, handily defeated Weld, 7-5 6-3.

The other two Crimson victories in the singles were achieved by Fred Vinton, who trounced Bud Hostetter, 6-0, 6-1, and Pete Krogh, who rallied to win over Dan Feldman, 5-7, 6-4, 6-2. In a three hour match at fifth singles, Block outlasted Wood, beating him in two long sets, 10-8, 16-14.

The final climax came late in the afternoon when the first and third doubles were split, thus setting the stage for the decisive match. At number one, the Hicks brothers overcame the Sophomore duo of Gallwey and Vinton, 6-3, 6-4, while at number three Sears and Krogh blasted Feldman and Hostetter, 6-2, 6-0.