Applications To Education School Grow

Publicity given to secondary education since Russia's Sputnik victory probably contributed to the 60 per cent increase in application to the School of Education's Master of Arts in Teaching Program, John D. Herzog, assistant to the Dean of the Faculty of Education, said yesterday.

Herzog also attributed the large rise, and a similar increase in applications for the elementary education program, to the School's enlarged publicity program. He noted that applications have been increasing steadily, although less sharply since 1951.

"Secondary and, especially, elementary education are becoming more and more accepted by girls, and girls' colleges, as a career that offers challenge and prestige," Herzog stated. But, he said, at least half of the applications came from men. "They are no longer considering secondary education as just a lower degree," he noted.

Approximately two thirds of the applicants came from the 29 major Eastern colleges which are members of the School's "Co-operative Plan." Applicants approved by a faculty committee in each college are given priority in admission, and are eligible for special scholarship funds.

Herzog declared that colleges outside the 29 have shown a parallel increase in applications and admissions. Several, he mentioned, have asked to join the 29.

Interest in the School's Internship Plan has also increased, Herzog stated. "Last year we had just enough applicants to fill the positions," he said. "This year we have twice the number."