Varsity Should Win Lacrosse Contest Today

The hayride will be over for the varsity lacrosse team after today's game with Brown, at least as far as Ivy League competition is concerned. The Bruins will tangle with the Crimson on the Business School field at 3 p.m., but their claws are dull and they should be defeated by the varsity.

On the next three Saturdays, however, the opposition will be the three perennial powers of the Ivy League, Princeton, Dartmouth and Yale. The game today should afford the Crimson a much needed chance to continue polishing its attack.

The game with Penn Saturday showed welcome signs of improvement among all personnel, even with three starters on the sidelines. Since Dub Mallonee is ready to go all out on attack along with Nick Lamont and Jerry Pyle the score should not remain close for too long.

The midfield picture remains complex with Jerry Cotter suffering from an injured shoulder and Charlie Devens from a pinched nerve. Karl Bjork, Dick Parks and Dave Birch comprise the healthy first-midfield, with Manuel Cabral and John Gould the healthy second midfielders. The third line of Tag Edwards, Mike Rockefeller and Larry Connell may be moved up to second midfield, since they have been playing together for most of the season.

The defense will again be captain Jim Herscot, Bob Shaunessy and Lanny Keyes filling in for the injured John Baldwin. Dick MacKinnon will guard the nets once more.

The freshman lacrosse team will probably have to suffer the indignity of another loss today when it faces a good Exeter team at 3 p.m. The Yardling team improves with every practice session, but they still are not the calibre of the good prep schools.