H.S.A. Plans Coupon Sale In Fall Term

The ever-expanding Harvard Student Agencies will produce next year a coupon booklet offering free gifts and other inducements from local merchants, Edward L. Croman '60, director of the project, announced yesterday.

The Harvard Sampler, as the booklet will be called, will include various services and discounts on items commonly used by students. It will cost $2.50 and is to be sold during registration week.

Croman, who has been contacting merchants and gathering their offers since the Fall, estimated the total value of each coupon book as "between $35 and $40." He added, however, that it is unlikely that "any Harvard man will get around to using more than $20 or $25 worth."

With only one or two exceptions, the coupons will be honored until Jan. 31, 1959. Present plans call for the H.S.A. to compile another issue of the Sampler for the Spring term next year.

The new agency plans to sell only 1,000 editions of the Fall Sampler. "The merchants who sponsored the coupons insisted on the limit to avoid the possibility of being swamped," Croman commented. He preferred not to reveal the names of the merchants involved.

Since the incoming Freshman class will be register first in the Fall, they will probably purchase a large share of the Samplers. Croman said, however, that the H.S.A. is trying to devise a way for students to reserve a book before leaving school this term.

Some of the offers that will be included in the booklet are free movie admission, lobster dinners at half price, and free laundry service. Croman said that some departments of the H.S.A. will also offer discounts.

Croman mentioned that a similar booklet had been published several years ago at Harvard "with very fine results." Because the agency was not very well organized, he said, the program was not continued after its manager graduated.