Carpenter Strike May Stop Work At Quincy House

Quincy House construction may be stopped by a strike this morning for the second time in a month. At 8 a.m., nearly 6000 carpenters employed in the Greater Boston area will walk off their jobs in a movement for higher wages.

Despite efforts of federal and state mediators, negotiations with the Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners, AFL-CIO, broke down Friday. Federal mediator John J. Sullivan has indicated that he will be available today if the union and management wish to delay the walkout.

Union demands include a wage increase of 50 cents per hour, while the management has offered a 30 cents per hour boost. At present, the carpenters earn $3.25 per hour. Under the union plan, the carpenters would draw $150 weekly, plus an additional $4 each week for health and welfare benefits.

Three Week Delay

A representative of the George A. Fuller Company, contracted to build the new House, refused to comment last night on the union's action and whether it would affect the construction work. Construction of Quincy House was stopped for a three-week period at the start of April by a strike of laborers and hod-carriers.

Last month's strike also stopped work on the Cambridge Electron Accelerator, the Center for International Legal Studies, and the Geographical Institute. It is not known at present whether this new strike will affect these projects immediately.