House Masters Praise Ford Grant Allocation

By Mark H. Alcott

The Masters expressed almost unanimous approval yesterday with the way in which their Houses have used Ford Foundation grants and praised the opportunities offered by the funds. A few, however, noted that this was a year of experimentation and should lead to better projects next year.

Gordon M. Fair, Master of Dunster House, said that the funds had been "a real contribution" to House life. He added that "we can definitely use more of the same" to carry on similar projects next year.

General satisfaction with the grant was echoed by Reuben A. Brower, Master of Adams House, which used part of the $2,400 allocation to sponsor a visit by poet Robert Frost. "Having a great person, even for a little while, is very meaningful," he commented.

Brower emphasized the need for small, informal meetings between students and visitors, and pointed out that these opportunities do not present themselves at a public lecture.

Winthrop House, which set up a scholarship fund for Seniors working on their theses, has had only a limited response to the plan, according to David E. Owen, Master. He added, however, that many students have indicated a desire to use the program during the summer and "it has worked out well so far."

John H. Finley, Master of Eliot House, called Monday night's dinner with T. S. Eliot "a great success." The programs sponsored to date have been "very, very good," he said.

Two Masters expressed limited disappointment over the way in which the funds had been used to date. Charles H. Taylor, Master of Kirkland House, said that "with this year of experimenting to go on we should do much better next year."