Student Council Sponsors House Dining Hall Polls

In its annual effort to improve the quality of dining hall service and food, the Student Council is distributing polls today and tomorrow in the House Dining Halls.

D. Dwight Dogherty '59, who heads the investigating committee, said yesterday that he hoped to "get a 90 per cent return on the questionnaires, as this year is one in which something can really be done." He justified his optimism on the basis of the recent changes in the Dining Hall Administration and its professed willingness to listen to suggested improvements.

Many students have already noted recent changes in the Central Kitchen fare, such as the innovations of meatballs with spaghetti, and cranberry sauce with chicken pot pie.

The polls were prepared with the aid of the Social Relations Department, which "helped us word the questions," Dogherty said. The poll deals with all aspects of Dining Hall service and asks for specific food likes and dislikes as well as opinions on the general philosophy of "you can eat all you want if you can stomach it." The questionnaire also asks for comments on a proposed 14 or 15 meal weeks with reduced board rates and asks students to rate the "attractiveness and quality of the food."

Dogherty distributed the polls in Dunster House yesterday and said that in sampling the returns he had noted a "surprising consistency" to some of the answers.