Undefeated Nine Faces Dartmouth In Crucial Game

By Kenneth Auchincloss

The amazing Crimson baseball team, undefeated so far in Eastern league play, travels to Hanover today to meet Dartmouth in what is probably its most crucial game of the season.

A victory against the second-place Indians would solidify the varsity's current hold on the league lead and, with only the Yale game remaining, would also give the Crimson a strong chance to capture the Eastern Intercollegiate League title. If Dartmouth wins, however, the Green would take over first place with a 7-1 record, dropping the Crimson (now 5-0) to second.

Two big question marks dominate this afternoon's lineups for both Crimson captain Bob Cleary and the Indians' ace pitcher Art Quirk are doubtful starters.

Cleary, one of the varsity's strongest hitters, has had a badly bruised finger since a pitch struck his hand in Monday's practice and finds it very painful to bat. If he is unable to play, George Harrington will take over the second base assignment.

But Quirk's status promises to be an even more important factor in the game. The speedballing lefthander has built up an astounding 9-1 won-loss record this season, with four victories and one defeat in the league. The loss came at the hands of Penn in an 11-inning, 4-3 game last Saturday. According to Dartmouth coach Tony Lupien, Quirk is still tired from that game, but "if he feels up to it, he'll pitch against Harvard."

With three days rest, the chances are that Quirk will be on the mound today; if not, righthander Dave Gavitt will handle the Indians' pitching duties.

Crimson coach Norm Shepard will send four-game winner Dave Brigham to the hill. Righthander Brigham's fast ball has been improving all season, and recently he has been toying with a curve and knuckler that had the Quaker batters swinging wildly in Friday's 8-7 triumph over Penn.

In addition to Cleary's injury, Mouse Kasarjian's physical condition is also marginal. The Crimson shortstop has been bothered by a wrenched foot and bruised ankle. Tom Bergantino, the regular third baseman, will move over to short, and Mo Balboni will fill in at third if Kasarjian is unable to play.

The Crimson, however, probably holds the edge in the outfield