Lightweights to Compete At Henley This Summer

Trip to Cost $8000, Crew to Raise Part

By Sara E. Sagoff

The varsity lightweight crew voted last night to go to the Henley Regatta in England, July 2-5. At the same time, the Friends of Harvard Rowing indicated that if the crew could raise "a substantial amount," they would try to provide the rest of the money needed to finance the trip.

Coach H. O. Joseph Brown '53, estimated the cost of sending the crew of nine men and three spares at $8000. At least one-third of this amount would have to be raised by crew members, he said. Brown added that no definite sum was being requested from each man, but that each "will be expected to provide as much as he honestly can."

Due to the large-scale effort of the Program for Harvard College no general solicitation of funds for the crew is possible. The University has, however, allowed the Friends of Harvard Rowing to give its support to this specific money-raising effort. Viggo C. Bertelsen '58, captain of this year's crew, noted that the University has in the past placed a taboo on outside solicitations for particular sports projects.

"We feel we can raise one-third of the money," Bertelsen said last night. He noted that the lightweight crew has received an invitation from the German Rowing Association to enter a regatta in Hamburg one week after the Henley event. The German organization would pay all expenses while the crew is in Germany, Bertelsen said. The Hamburg trip is very indefinite, however, since no funds have been provided for transportation to Germany, and several crew members may have summer commitments at home.

Provided the $8000 is raised, the crew will leave in mid-June to train for at least a week on the Thames. About sixty light-weight crews, representing colleges and clubs of Europe and Russia, are expected to participate in the regatta.

Bertelsen noted that the crew has its best chances of showing well this year, since it is unbeaten in all events