Masters Discuss Tutorial Program For Non-Honors

By Peter J. Rothenberg

The Masters are "interested" in instituting a system of non-Honors Senior tutorial on an intra-House basis, Dean Bundy indicated yesterday. The CEP report, approved by the Faculty May 6, urged that "group tutorial or small discussion sections" be offered to non-Honors Seniors in the Houses.

John H. Finley, Jr. '25, Master of Eliot House, said yesterday that the staff of Eliot had discussed the problem "only tentatively." It is rather late now, he added, to consider the addition of several more staff members for the Fall. Additional housing space would be needed, and, with all the rooms in the Houses assigned, "it is a little hard," Finley said, "to see where the space will come from."

A system of non-Honors Senior tutorial "requires a good deal of thought and elaborate planning," John J. Conway, Master of Leverett House, commented. The new program, he said, represents a significant change in University policy, and needs "a summer's thought to work out." The problem of housing space for additional tutors might be alleviated, he added, by drop-outs during the summer.

Albert A. Mavrinac, Allston Burr Senior Tutor in John Winthrop House, viewed the effect of the new program on the Houses as "marginal." Winthrop House has not yet undertaken any definite plans for the institution of non-Honors tutorial for Seniors.

All the Masters, Finley and Conway indicated, approve of the idea of a tutor or "adviser" for Seniors not participating in the Honors program and are "looking into things" concerning such a plan.