Pyle Elected Lacrosse Captain; Lightweight Crew Picks Hoffman

Jerry H. Pyle '59 of Leverett House and Jenkintown, Pa., was chosen yesterday as captain of the 1959 varsity lacrosse team. The lightweight crew elected Mark Hoffman, Jr. '59 of Adams House and Oxford, Miss., as its captain for next spring.

Prospects for next year's lacrosse season look bright, according to Pyle. He foresees an improvement over this year's nearly even record. The varsity will be hurt, he said, by the loss of two strong defensemen, Captain Jim Herscot and John Baldwin, through graduation.

Lanny Keyes and Bob Shaunessy, however, will be back, and Pyle hopes for some support from the present freshman team, which should supply "two good attackmen, at least one midfielder, and maybe a defenseman."

Goalie Dick MacKinnon is also graduating, leaving a major gap, but Pyle says that junior Chris Stone is "expected to come through" to take MacKinnon's place.

Hoffman commented on the "remarkable" records of all three Harvard lightweight crews this spring. All three Crimson eights were victorious in the Eastern Association of Rowing Colleges championship sprints last Saturday.

The success of the freshmen and junior varsity, according to Hoffman, is a "sign of good depth" and a "good sign for the future." The Harvard varsity lightweights voted Monday to compete in the Henley regatta this summer.