Cornell Defeats Trackmen With Field Event Strength

By William C. Sigal

Although the varsity track team outsloshed host Cornell, 42 to 41 in the running events, the Big Red inundated the varsity with a slew of points in the field events to win, 741/2 to 561/2 in the contest at Ithaca Saturday. Penn trailed with 42 points.

Considering the heavy rain and soggy track, which forced the jumps indoors, the winning times, especially those of Joel Landau, were exceptional. The speedy Junior won both hurdles, the highs with a 14.7 which tied the meet record and the lows in a creditable 24 seconds flat. In the latter, he had to come from behind to catch Cornell's ubiquitous Bo Roberson at the last hurdle.

Roberson won both the 100 and the broad jump. A 9.7 century man, Roberson's winning time of 10 seconds flat in the former attested to the sloppiness of the track and made Landau's times the more outstanding.

Probably the most encouraging performances for the Crimson, who look forward to next week's meet with Yale, were those of captain Pete Reider, who appeared to have regained his form as he out-sprinted Cornell's Dave Eckels to win a 9:32 two-mile after having outlasted Cornell's Nat Cravener for second in the mile. As expected, Mike Midler won the latter for the Big Red.

Gordon Wins 440

Al Gordon ran away from the field to win the 440 in 0:52.2, while French Anderson, despite a sore foot, nosed out Cornell's Dave Cadiz for second. Sandy Dodge, running all out for the first time this spring, finished second in the 220 and a close third in the 100, while Lee Barnes took third for the varsity in the 220.

The other varsity running points were garnered by Art Cahn and Dave Brahms, who finished third and fourth in the 880, and Dave Rosenthal, fourth in the low hurdles. The relay team of Pat Liles, Ben Kaltreiter, Barnes and Gordon won its event with ease in 3:24.

In the field events, however, both Cornell and Penn outscored the varsity. John DuMoulin provided the lone varsity win as he took the hammer with a toss of 177 feet, 61/4 inches, with Jim Doty third at 162 feet, 33/4 inches. Dick Williams, vaulting 12 feet, 6 inches, could gain only a tie for third in the pole vault.