Varsity Baseball Team Will Face B.U. Nine Today

The varsity baseball team will begin an active week when it takes on Boston University at B.U. Field this afternoon. Today's encounter will be followed by games against Cornell, Penn, and Holy Cross--on Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday.

Crimson coach Norman Shepard indicated yesterday afternoon that he plans to start either Jerry Emmet or Byron Johnson against the Terriers. The final choice between these two will not be made until game-time, and will probably depend on the number of left-handed batters in the opposition's lineup. If B.U. fields a team of port-side swingers, the varsity's only left-handed pitcher, Emmet, will likely get the assignment. If not, it will be Johnson.

Shepard will juggle his own lineup a little for today's game. He will move Jim Shue into right-field in place of Mo Balboni, and may start George Harrington at shortstop.

So far this season only Kent Hathaway among the Crimson outfielders, has been doing any real hitting. And Shepard's decision to play Shue is apparently motivated by a desire to muster a little more offensive strength; for Balboni has been slumping badly of late.

In addition, centerfielder John Getch, one of the strongest hitters on last season's nine, has had about as much trouble as Ted Williams in getting started this year. He will be dropped to the eighth position in the Crimson's order today.

B.U. was routed by Tufts, 11-1, in a game played yesterday at Medford.