Faculty Approves CEP Proposals For Extension of Honors Program

Plan Recommends More Stress On Tutorial, Independent Study

By Alan H. Grossman

The Committee on Educational Policy's proposals for revising the upperclass curriculum were passed yesterday after a year and a half of study and debate by a 77-35 vote of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, and will begin to take effect next fall.

If the full force of the CEP's recommendations is carried into practice by the individual departments, the College curriculum will place a greater emphasis on tutorial and independent study, increase the participation of senior Faculty members in tutorial work, and widen the gap between Honors and non-Honors programs. It will require the use of more costly methods of instruction and make greater use of House educational facilities.

At its monthly meeting yesterday the Faculty also voted to establish A.M. and Ph.D. degrees in Biophysics and indicated that any future courses in geography would not be given under the Department of Geology. Also, President Pusey outlined the history of Memorial Church and re-asserted his satisfaction with the outcome of the religious debate. No discussion followed his remarks.

As a result of the Faculty vote, beginning next year Sophomores in all departments formalizing the proposals--except the Natural Sciences, Architectural Sciences, and Music--will be tutored in Honors groups of five or six, and will take "suitable tests" to qualify for continuance as Honors candidates.

Qualifying Exams

As has been brought out in recent debates, the nature of the qualifying examination has been defined in as vague a manner as possible, but must involve something beyond a consideration of the student's record. Some departments have mentioned the possibility of essays written under non-examination conditions, or "oral examination interviews."

Students who fail Sophomore examinations will be allowed to take another test at the end of the Junior year, and to prepare for it by continuing non-credit tutorial work. Although there will be no technical bar to students who change fields of concentration, changes might be more difficult because of the expected increase of content in departmental tutorial.

Dean Bundy said yesterday that the College is "responsible for providing the keenest possible challenge to the increasingly talented young men and women who get by our Admissions Office." The Faculty, indicating that such challenge is to be found in greater independent work, voted to allow Honors Juniors and Seniors to take only three courses "at their discretion," and even fewer "with special permission.'

Increased Senior Faculty Tutorial

As several members of the Faculty pointed out at yesterday's meeting, independent study will be valuable as an educational policy only if it is supported by increased Faculty participation in tutorial work and individual research guidance.

The original CEP proposal recommended that 30 per cent of tutorial work in each department be given by members of the Faculty with the minimum rank of assistant professor. The Faculty adopted the 30 per cent figure only "as a target," but also agreed that "each officer of instruction is expected to take part in his department's tutorial program."

It has been felt that the new policy decision will effect a greater separation between the programs offered to Honors and non-Honors students. Several members of the Faculty have pointed out, however, that "it is impossible to make Honors work more attractive without increasing this gap."

Non-Honors Tutorial

The departments in the areas of Humanities and Social Sciences will no longer be obligated to offer group tutorial for non-Honors Juniors and Seniors. Plans have been provided, however, for small discussion sections in the Houses, and for House Faculty advisers for students who are not Honors candidates. Some departments may decide to continue non-Honors tutorial on a limited basis.