Class of 1933, Weather Fight in Battle at Essex

Elements vs. Enthusiasm

The elements caught up with the Twenty-fifth Reunion Class Day yesterday, as wet, cool weather kept enthusiasm and activity at a minimum at the Essex County Club. The last two years had seen a hot, sunny day give the proceedings at least a touch of natural attractiveness, but yesterday a background of grey skies and intermittent showers cruelly betrayed the Reunion.

The scene was the same as in the past--any veteran hanger-on could tell you that; there were the frantic cries of the loudspeaker trying to coerce people into beach trips, the annual sightseeing tours, the bad tennis, the sons and daughters frolicking about, and all the little extras (straw hats with red ribbons) that go with a Harvard Reunion.

Near five o'clock, however, a lone bus stole furtively away from Essex with no calling from the loudspeaker, lest the party be broken up on the spot.

But the rain cleared by evening, and the "sport dance" came off, and even the passengers on the furtive early bus claimed that they had fun, as they snugly watched the rain fall outside the window.