ROTC Seniors Get Commissions In Sever Quad

For many of the 107 seniors who became members of the United States Armed Forces yesterday, the ROTC Joint Commissioning Exercises meant another uniform to put on after graduation; for others, it was the end of a long, parentally-imposed haul or the beginning of a 30-year career.

Second lieutenant or ensign bars were pinned on--when they were pinned on--by dates or mothers in most cases. One conquerer-like Marine affixed his own bars, muttering words about "how Napoleon would have done it."

Armstrong M.C.

Colonel DeVere Armstrong, USA, professor of Military Science, rotated into his turn as master of ceremonies this year and welcomed the audience to the moist and heavy-aired Sever Quadrangle theatre after leading the speakers' party through two tight, stiff rows of cadets and midshipmen.

Bringing greetings from the University, Dean Bundy said that the "sacrifice, which will be limited we hope," of serving the Armed Forces is "relevant" to the education offered at Harvard. Charles A. Coolidge, Senior Fellow of Harvard University, praised the high quality of military leadership and concluded that "thoughtful action in the true sense implies moral rightness" and is "the basis of leadership."